Grades 10 - 12 / Tuesday / Abortion
Today, with ultrasound and high definition images of unborn babies, it is hard to understand how people can still make the choice for abortion. Students will reflect on both sides of the issue and learn what is involved in the decision.
• What is the true power of sex?
• Why is sex separated from pregnancy and children in our culture? Who benefits from encouraging that separation?
• With all of the public evidence that abortion directly kills unborn children, why do people continue to choose abortion or participate in abortion? What is the greater good that they appeal to that makes them feel abortion is acceptable?
• Is it possible to come up with a logical argument for giving pregnant women the absolute right to determine whether an unborn person lives or dies? Why or why not?
• Are there any instances of living humans whose lives should not be protected? Are there any lives that are not as valuable as others’? What about people in a coma? With a terminal disease? On death row? Who have committed serious crimes?
• Can we build a society that supports women and their children so that women will not want to choose abortion? What would that look like?
3.5 min video provides overview of the Catholic position on life issues
4 min video. Chris Stefanick provides perspective on this generation's commitment to being pro-life and overturning abortion.
3 minute video uses photography of fertilization and growth of an embryo and fetus.
Every human, no matter their circumstances, has value, and the right to life.
Article by Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia discusses the foundational principle of the right to life and its place as the primary social justice issue.
Comprehensive article against abortion from Abby Johnson.
6 min video provides the scientific case for the fact that life begins at conception.
Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood executive, offers a unique perspective and resources for making difficult choices for life.
Becca shares about taking Plan B in college and only later understanding what it really meant.
Blog post offers practical advice for helping a friend who is considering an abortion.
Blog post shares Marie’s story, and she explains how abortion and its supporters betray women.
Humorous 1 min video highlights the absurdity of the slogan “my body, my choice.”
Hilariousl 1 min video criticizes the idea that a baby only has human rights outside the womb.
CNN article by Helen Alvaré cites the growing contributions by pro-life feminists in politics, academia and media
Academic article shows evidence contrary to the idea that pro-lifers do not care about women.
13 minute video of Karen Gaffney, a woman with Down Syndrome, an accomplished swimmer and president of a non-profit who knows that people with disabilities are “made for greater” and just as valuable as everyone else.
1 hour video. Stephanie Gray invites the audience to be "pro-conversation" on a topic that can be one of the most divisive, and demonstrates that it is possible to be gracious and respectful when encountering different ideas.